In your younger years, you may have had fun with flexibility as you did various activities, but as you age, you find that moving around is not so fun anymore because of the irritating pain you experience. Joint pains are a part of aging; however, it does not mean that it has to be a part of your life. This is where joint supplements enter the picture.
Joint supplements contain similar components to what are in your joints. They work by relieving pain, while reducing the inflammation that friction causes. They also build up the worn-out joints and cartilages, therefore creating a strong and less painful joint. It is very important to know the ingredients in your joint supplement, as these contribute to the wellbeing of your supplement program. This article will give you some pointers on what ingredients to look for, as well as supplements we found to be the best at their job.
You may also like: Best Cinnamon Supplements Reviews in 2018
|T6 Cryotherapy Natural Health joint supplement||4.7||-|
|Jointlax joint support supplement||4.1||-|
|Trevinol E S Systemic Enzyme Diet supplement||4.2||300 tablets.|
|OmegaXL All-Natural Omega-3 health supplement||4.0||60 Soft Gel Capsules|
|Pure Encapsulation Glucosamine Sulphate dietary supplement||5.0||360 Capsules|
|Move Free Triple strength joint supplement||4.4||80 coated tablets.|
1.T6 Cryotherapy Natural Health joint supplement
The advancement of science research has led to phasing out of chondroitin supplements, but this supplement uses T6 that promotes joint pain relief while promoting bone and cartilage health. The trademarked FruiteX-B calcium fructobate proves effective back and knee, while its UC-II collagen also proves effective through similar studies.
Curcuminoids in the product are active turmeric compounds that said varied health benefits, for example, joint health, heart health, antioxidant protection and cognitive function. The compound however has poor absorption rates into the body, so there is easy and effective absorption of curcumin in this supplement in your body due to its capsule formation.
The low dose and soluble FruiteX-B in the capsules has proven to improve joint health, because of extensive clinical studies. Stop arthritis and knee discomfort before it happens. In addition, you only need about 40mg of UC-II helps nobility and flexibility, and this product gives you that amount.
- It helps with joint pain, and you can experience positive results within a short time of taking the product
- It has all natural ingredients, so has very few side effects
- The FDA certifies it, so you can trust its quality
- Vegetable-based capsules
- It may not work for everyone
- closeIt is more expensive than other supplements
back to menu ↑
2.Jointlax joint support supplement
This is the No.1 choice for joint support issues, combining the best from unique and proprietary ingredient blends in order to give you maximum joint health. If your problem results from stress, inflammation, weight issues, joint stiffness or past injuries, this supplement can sort you out and ease your pain.
It has a high-grade blend of ingredients that doctors and researchers picked, and it achieves positive results faster than similar supplements on the market. An FDA-registered laboratory exceeding industry standards manufactures it, even receiving the GMP stamp of approval. The supplement comes with a 60-day guarantee, so if you are not satisfied with the product, you can return it and receive a refund, excluding shipping charges.
- Assists with joint pain, even for those with degenerative medical joint conditions
- The product is of high quality
- Comes with a 60-day money back guarantee, which is quite long for supplements
- Made from 100% natural ingredients
- The producers claim they have conducted clinical studies on the product, yet have not published any
- The official website of the product is uninformative
- The supplement may not work for everybody
back to menu ↑
3.Trevinol E S Systemic Enzyme Diet supplement
Trevinol is a product that is a scientifically advanced proteolytic blend of enzymes. Clinical development leads to the product supporting the natural inflammation response of your body while maintaining healthy flexibility, mobility and joint health. It comes in a bottle of 300 tablets.
- It reduces inflammation problems quickly
- Very helpful after workouts or intensive physical activities, and also for cardiovascular health
- You need to be careful when using it because it thins out the blood
- The supplement may not work for everybody
back to menu ↑
4.OmegaXL All-Natural Omega-3 health supplement
Recently developed supplement, the OMEGAXL supplement, is an effective joint health supplement that has a blend of 30 fatty acids including EPA and DHA, all proven in over 30 years of clinical research to be relievers of joint pains and inflammation. The product is even more powerful than fish oil because it contains up to 22 times more omega-3 fatty acids.
The product contains the patented lipid extract PCSO-524, which the manufacturer claims to extract from green-lipped mussels, a New Zealand plant species harvested from one of the cleanest water on Earth. It is safe for people who have allergy reactions to shellfish because there is the removal of all proteins.
If the size of regular cod liver oils fish capsules puts you off, be assured that these tablets are smaller, and easier to swallow, while having no aftertaste. Avoid this product if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are under 18y years of age.
- There is a 90-day money back guarantee available
- Discounted prices
- The tablets are easy to ingest
- No noted side effects
- It does not interfere with other medications
- There is not much information on its ingredients
- Not many customer testimonials are available
- There are no case studies of clinical research on the product
- Is more expensive than similar supplements
back to menu ↑
5.Pure Encapsulation Glucosamine Sulphate dietary supplement
This Glucosamine Sulphate has a design that promotes connective tissue and healthy joint movements. It uses the intrinsic components in bone cartilage to provide nutrients for healthy joints.
The company, Pure Encapsulations, is widely known for manufacturing a line of high quality, hypoallergenic dietary supplements. The formula of its products give you predictable, verifiable results, even for sensitive patients.
The supplement is free from egg, soya, gluten, artificial sweeteners, additives and hydrogenated fat. You should not use the product to treat any disease since the FDA has not extensively tested it. All the capsules are vegetarian-friendly and hypoallergenic and is GMO free.
Avoid this supplement if you are under 18 years of age, or have an allergy reaction to shellfish. If nursing or pregnant, consult with your doctor before purchasing the product.
- It is suitable for many individuals because it does not contain allergens
- Very fast delivery
- Very effective and easy to ingest
- There have been no negative reactions to the product.
back to menu ↑
6.Move Free Triple strength joint supplement
A company called Schiff Nutrition International, Inc. manufactures this supplement. The company is famous for creating high quality, affordable products that include vitamins and diet supplements that serve different purposes.
The product claims to be the first joint supplement that uses four key ingredients. One of the ingredients protects the joints and reduces the chances of damage to the joint. Two ingredients restore the joints in the body as well as repairing the joints for optimal structure and strength. It also claims to help with relieving pain in the joints and other discomforts.
The active ingredients include glucosamine hydrochloride, which the body uses to protect joints. It also helps with decreasing joint inflammation. Another ingredient is Chondroitin sulphate, and studies show that when it combines with glucosamine, it rebuilds cartilage tissue and reduces pain in the joints. Chondroitin is also one of the connective tissue building blocks, so it also assists in joint strengthening.
A key ingredient in the supplement is Uniflex, which is a mineral compound formulated from vegetables and fruits. It helps to protect the joints from damage and reduce discomfort as well. The last ingredient is hyaluronic acid (HA), which is an important part of healthy cartilage and joint system. It glues cartilage and keeps it smooth by reducing friction, therefore reducing joint pain.
Both men and women can use it, but you need to be careful with the ingredients – be sure that you are not allergic to any of them. The recommended dose is two tablets daily, which you can take in two doses or at once. To prevent stomach upsets, it is best to take it with meals, and avoid using it with other joint supplements. You should also avoid it if you are pregnant or nursing or have medical conditions.
- It is very effective
- It eases pain in the joints, even in people who have had a history of pain
- Easy to ingest
- Has no reported side effects
- Like all ingested supplements, it may not work for everyone
- closeIf you have allergies to soy and shellfish, the supplement can give you adverse side effects
back to menu ↑
Should I consume joint supplements?
If you suffer from joint pain that hinders you from living your life comfortably, then yes. They are especially helpful for those who suffer from conditions such as arthritis.
back to menu ↑
How to strengthen joints
Unlike muscles, joints do not possess strength by themselves. You need to exercise the muscles that surround the joints for them to remain strong. Here are some tips to help you in that regard.
Regular and consistent low-impact exercise
The incorporation of daily cardio workouts that build bone strength and maintain the supple nature of the joints. You do not need to join a gym for this, even something as simple as walking will do. Choose activities, which require you to hold your own body weight. Apart from walking, there are also activities like yoga, swimming and gardening.
The problem with high-impact exercises like running is that they place significant amounts of strain on your muscles and joints, leading to problems later on. You can begin by exercising for ten minutes and gradually building it up to thirty minutes daily.
Activities such as lifting weights are a low impact exercise that build bone strength and density in the muscles that support your joints. An example is exercising your quadriceps, you are strengthening the opposite joints – you knee joints. It is important to build strength in the major muscles with activities such as shoulder presses, leg presses, back extensions and leg curl.
According to the National Institute of Health, those who have concerns about their joint care health should consume diets rich in certain nutrients, especially Vitamin D and calcium.
Women who are younger than the age of 50 and men under 70 years need at least 1,000mg of calcium daily, while women over 50 and men over 70 need increases of up to 1,200 milligrams. You can find calcium in foods such as low fat dairy products, dark leafy greens and almonds. For Vitamin D, foods like eggs, salmon and catfish can supply you with it, apart from sunlight.
Find a balance between stretching and work
Daily addition of balance to your exercise routine, for example standing on one leg while working and trying to maintain your balance.
The advantage of constant stretching is that it keeps the muscles supple so that the joints have better extents of motion. Yoga can also help in stretching because it increases flexibility. Stretch one or two times daily, holding the poses for about thirty seconds each.
back to menu ↑
Top active ingredients in joint supplements
Almost every supplement that deals with joint pain has this ingredient as its active ingredient. It is simply a compound synthesised from sugar and protein molecules. It is one of the building blocks of cartilage tissue. It also helps the body to produce synovial fluid, which helps the joints with lubrication, and is a potent anti-inflammatory substance.
It has undergone various clinical studies; all showing that it enhances the regeneration of cartilage and relieving symptoms of joint conditions such as osteoarthritis. It comes in various forms including the most effective, glucosamine sulphate. Most of the supplements derive their glucosamine from shellfish, so you may want to consult with your doctor if you have an allergy to shellfish.
Benefits of glucosamine
Because aging naturally influences the strength as well as toughness of your joints, this ingredient will rank as one of the most effective you can use to relieve your discomfort.
- Slows down deterioration of joints: It slows down joint deterioration when you use t in the long-term, and provides benefits that normal painkillers cannot, for example, improving digestion and lowering chronic inflammation. Some long-term users emphasize the relief that has enabled them to stay away from surgery situations and lowering medication use.
- It eases the pain of osteoarthritis, which is a degenerative condition. This means that it gets worse in pain as time goes by. It is the most common form of arthritis in the world. Studies prove that taking glucosamine actually helps people suffering from arthritis by reducing further damage and friction in the joints. Despite this, it is not a “cure all” and cannot help everyone, but it can offer great pain relief from joint pain.
- Improving digestion: glucosamine helps in enhancing digestive functions and repairing GI tract lining. It is especially helpful in sealing ‘leaky guts’, a condition referred to as ‘intestinal permeability’. This involves undigested food particles and proteins entering the bloodstream via tiny openings in the GI tract lining. The danger of these substances entering the blood is that they trigger inflammation problems as well as decreasing immune system responses in the body like bowel illnesses.
- Glucosamine supplements assist in repairing damaged tissue and lower inflammation related to the bowel illnesses (IBD), which are infamously painful and difficult in treatment. They also help in bladder repair in addition to the intestines and stomach.
- Relieves bone pain: if you have a history of fractures, low bone density and bone pains, glucosamine can benefit you greatly because it hastens bone healing. A 2013 study by the Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology in Turkey confirmed this, as they found that glucosamine helped to increase the rate of recovery of rats that had bone fractures. They found that new bone formations and bone linings were higher when the rats consumed glucosamine, compared to the control-group rats that had not consumed the substance. The resulting bone structures of the glucosamine fed rats was stronger than the other group, showing that it helps to heal bones faster.
- Reduces the severity of TMJ symptoms: TMJ is a disorder that relates to a joint in the jaw, called the temporo-manibular joint. It is frequent in young to middle-aged adults and its signs include neck and jaw pain, in addition to headaches. The disorder affects the joint that connects to the skull and enables the head to move without pain.
- When the joint is inflamed, the jaw becomes very painful to move and makes it difficult to even talk or chew. Studies show that glucosamine is able to relieve TMJ symptoms, even better than taking painkillers.
For recommended doses, it averages from about 100 to 2000 mg daily for up to 18 months, especially in osteoarthritis cases. Most people do not see the full benefits of glucosamine until at least a whole month passes, especially if they have arthritis.
The body manufactures this substance, and is mostly in the joints and eyes where it acts as a lubricating agent and a cushion. As a human ages, the hyaluronic acid levels decrease by up to 50 percent. The hyaluronic acid in these supplements is mostly from laboratory bacteria or rooster combs.
The ingredient helps to reduce osteoarthritis symptoms. A 2012 study found that participants who took 200 mg of hyaluronic acid for twelve months on a daily basis saw major improvements in their symptoms, although the change was most observed in those who were 70 years and younger.
An acronym for S-adenosyl-methione, this is a co-enzyme that your body uses to produce different tissues. It helps in joint repair, as well as reducing inflammation and joint pain. It is mainly useful in treating arthritis, in addition to reducing muscle stiffness and fatigue.
Supplements that contain glucosamine also have chondroitin. The body synthesizes some amounts of chondroitin, which are a major part of cartilage. Most of the supplements that have this ingredient get it from animal cartilage, or you can synthesize it in a laboratory, and the most popular form is in chondroitin sulphate.
There is not much research stating if the ingredient is safe for nursing or pregnant women, so it is best to avoid it during this time. Some studies claim it worsens symptoms of asthma and blood clotting disorders, as well as leading to the occurrence of prostate cancer. The recommended dose is about 800 to 1200mg daily, and it may take several weeks to see the full effects of the dose.
Doctors and health specialists advise that you avoid this ingredient or consult with your doctor if you are allergic to shellfish, or if you take blood thinner medication.
Another acronym, standing for Tri-methyl-glycine. It frequently pairs with SAMe, helping it in its functions. It strengthens bones and enhances the ability of tissue to absorb nutrients.
This compound is frequent in supplements to use in the treatment of osteoarthritis because it helps in collagen production. This is because it is a well-known anti-inflammatory having sulphur content that helps normal cell function. Short-term studies indicate that three grams of MSM taken twice-daily lead to significant reduction of joint pain, as well as increasing joint mobility. However, specialists and doctors do not know the optimal dose of this substance.
Other ingredients to look out for include:
This mineral is famous for making strong bone tissue, and the body uses it in very low amounts. It is already a part of most tissues in the body, and it is particularly helpful because it gives the bones strength and binds the tissue together.
This wonder vitamin not only helps in preventing scurvy and helping in functions like liver detox, but also is an anti-oxidizing agent that protects the connecting tissues. These include the skin, ligaments, and tendons, as well as the joints and bones of the body. One of the functions of this vitamin is to help in collagen synthesis – this will help in the flexibility of blood vessels and muscles.
This is very good for knee joints, particularly for athletes. It acts as a lubricant and prevents bone tissue wear and tear.
back to menu ↑
What to look for in a joint supplement
Ensure that the source of the ingredients is ethical, and that the product adheres according to GMP (Good manufacturing Practice) standards.